Friday, August 17, 2007

The first days of being a mommy






I'm so sorry I haven't sent out an update sooner. As you can see, we have been so busy. :-) Our little Elysia is... well... quite perfect, I'm sure of it! We got to come home yesterday, after I practically begged all of our doctors to keep us til Friday. They all were so assured that she was ready, so we got home yesterday afternoon.
Health things first... Elysia's heart rate is staying steady in the mid-upper 50's. This is lower than it was in utero but of course, she is not getting my medicine anymore so this is understandable. Dr. Cottrill is not concerned about this. She said that they could always give Elyse medicine to raise her heart rate but she didn't think it was necessary. She said that Elyse will give us signs if something is wrong, like her heart rate drops a lot. We would see blue around her lips and she would get really pale. She would also have a big lack of urination and she wouldn't be interested in eating. So... we feel better that we know what to look for. They said they did not need to send us home with a heart monitor. They said we could buy a pediatric stethescope to have to listen and count her heart rate IF we get worried. My mom has warned me not to get obsessed with the stethescope if I get it and let it worry me all the time... good advice for someone like me. Other than Elyse's heart rate, her health is wonderful. Praise the Lord! We have so much to be thankful for.

And as for my first days of being a mommy, all I can say is, "does it get any better than this?" I always heard about a mother's love but had no idea it would be like this. The love a mommy has for her baby truly IS unlike anything in the world.Of course my hormones are raging, but I can hardly look at Elyse without breaking down into tears or at least tearing up, amazed at what a miracle she is and how good God is to bless us with her.

Thank you all for the many prayers you sent our way the day Elysia was born and the days after that. God heard them and we have been so very blessed. Again, my hormones are raging and I am tearing up writing this because I am so thankful for friends that care so much to pray for us. We couldn't ask for anything more!

4 comments:

Tishy said...

No one can really prepare you for those mommy love feelings can they? You hear it all the time but until it happens...there is no other feeling like that in the world. Watching your spouse with your child makes that love grow into another dimension as well. I am so happy for you three! I would love to come and see her soon. (and you too!)

Andrea :) said...

I am so glad things are going so well for you'll. I can't wait to come visit again, to hold precious little Elysia and to visit with you'll. Best wishes. Please let us know if you need anything!
Andrea :)

Anonymous said...

Katie-bug,
I am so happy for you and Ryan! You are right, being a mom is the best thing in the world, exhausting, but wonderful. Shane, Reese Kathryn and I send our love. Once things calm down a bit Reese and I would like to come for a "play date". Take care and I love you!
With Much Love- Emily B.

Kelly said...

So glad to hear that you guys made it home and you can hold Elyse all the time!! I have to agree....there is nothing better than being a mom! It's hard to imagine, but you will love her more and more everyday!! Avah can't wait to hold "baby Lyse" and I can't either. Let us know if you need anything. Love ya!