Monday, July 16, 2007

Doctor day

We went to the doctor today and got some answers to some questions. First of all, Elyse's heart rate was 64, so it is staying steady, which is great news. Dr. Campbell said that assuming things stay the same and we go to 37 weeks (I'm 33 weeks now), we are looking at delivering around the 13th or 14th of August. He said that they will need to do an amniocentisis probably on Friday, the 10th to make sure the lungs were well developed. That scared me so of course I asked if that was absolutely necessary. He said that when they have a baby with an "issue" like Elyse has with her heart, they try to eliminate the possibility of all other issues that could occur upon birth. If they do the amnio and see that the lungs are well developed, they eliminate the possibility of her having difficulty breathing and needing a ventilator when she is born. This makes sense and I trust Dr. Campbell's judgement so I guess the amnio will be done and then hopefully, the c-section a few days later.

He also talked a bit about the medicine I was on now and how he didn't want to take me off of it, which I completely understand. I had asked him if he contributed her steady heart rate to the medicine and told him I was a little worried about what would happen when she was born if she was no longer exposed to it. He said that he really couldn't say that he contributed the steady heart rate to the medicine alone but he thought it definitely helped because we did see such a good increase. I contribute a small bit to the medicine, but a HUGE part to God and answered prayers. :-)
As far as what would happen after she is not exposed to the medicine, he told me to understand that there is a lot more that can be done when a baby is born as far as treatments rather than what can be done at this point in utero through me. Again, understandable.

Oh, and how can I forget to tell all about how SHE was today... she weighs 3 lbs, 13, oz. Dr. Campbell said she is lacking in growth by about a week and half but it is not a big deal. He said she will just be a little preemie, probably. :-)

So, overall, another good doctor day, with two more to go this week. We see him again Thursday and Dr. Cottrill tomorrow. PLEASE keep praying for Elyse as these next few weeks are crucial in her development. We pray that her heart will stay strong and healthy and her lungs will continue to develop quickly so she'll be all ready for birth in four weeks.

8 comments:

All 4 My Gals said...

Great news on our girl sweetie! :) I can't wait for her to be here!!!

The amnio is not too bad. We'll pray you through it.

Love all 3 of you, Nicole and the gang

Tishy said...

Glad to hear the good news! She is just gonna be a little bit like her momma!

Laura, Brent, & Anna Kate said...

I'll be praying Katie!! It's amazing how much this little girls is loved!! Laura

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the good news. I too will be glad for you when this summer is over and you are holding that baby girl in your arms. Take care--Connie McVicker

All 4 My Gals said...

Katie, I have nominated you for your first blogger award. Come on over to pick it up! :)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear the good news! I am SO excited about meeting Elysia. I hope you are taking time to do some fun and relaxing things for you too! Much Love-Emily B.

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie.....so glad all is going well. As you know, Hayden and I will keep praying. Not much longer! Hang in there, you are almost there! :) I can't wait to see that sweet little thing. Lots of love, Heather P.S. Tell Amanda Blake is precious and congrats

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie!!I'm sure you and Ryan are sooo excited that Elysia Hope Adams will be here Monday. I know I am!! Please know that I am praying for you guys because I know amongst all your excitement there is part of you that's scared. I love you guys and WILL be down to see you and Elysia once things settle down and you are up to company. Luv you!!!! Holly